The Erewash canal is nearly 12 miles long. From the river Trent to Langley Mills.
It has 14 locks, designed by John Varby.
Work started on the canal in 1777. Finished in 1779 it cost £21000 which was £2000 under budget. It was finished ahead time too.
The canal was built to bring coal out of Erewash valley pits, and down to the river Trent. Where it went onto Nottingham and Leicester.
During the second war the canal was used to transport munitions from Stanton Ironworks.
Today the canal is used for leisure.